A - Z Blogging Challenge - J

J
This summer I'll be celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee - 60 years on the throne. I remember her Silver Jubilee in 1977.

Communities arranged street parties, my school gifted every pupil a celebratory mug and flags and bunting were hung from buildings.

It was in that year that the Queen attended Wimbledon and witnessed Britain's Virginia Wade win the Ladies' Singles Championship - beating Holland's Betty Stove.

It was a glorious summer - much like that of 1976 but without the severe drought.

As well as that souvenir mug I also have a glass paperweight, inscribed with the dates. Even back then I recognised the importance of history and knew I would want to remember that year when I was older. In a blink of an eye I am older!

I'm not sure what the significance of those flags in the photo are. The image is of Porlock Weir, just as the tide was turning.