Why blogging is worth it

Three years ago I began a Blog. It was one of those things that just evolved. It told the true story of an event that would change my life for ever. There's no need to trawl through it all again, so if you want to know more, please click here.

A few days ago I was chatting to a non-blogger about Blogs and emailed links to mine.

I was astounded at the reply.

The person hadn't known about my brush with breast cancer and as a result of reading my tale, had now made an appointment to check out a lump that had been present for almost a year.

I wrote that Blog for a number of reasons. Primarily it was a positive thing to focus on, allowing me to turn medical appointments into writing exercises. How would I phrase being almost suspended from a mammogram machine? How long could I use my operation as an excuse not to run?

But I also wanted to demonstrate there are many different lumps and some are even friendly ones. As scared as we all are, getting a lump checked is the only way to deal with it. Living with fear isn't living, it's existing.

Until that person hears from her doctor that she's fine, then she will worry. But she's done the right thing, taken that first step.

Back to that Blog. If you don't want to read it because you think it might be scary, then be reassured it isn't. I wrote it with the humour that reflected my mood at that time.

When I read it now I hear someone else's voice. I have a permanent reminder that it was me, but I am not defined by diagnosis.

If that Blog helps one person get a lump checked, then it's more of a success than I thought.