Briefly, again

A while ago I blogged about the classic film, Brief Encounter.

"Brief Encounter is a classic in every sense of the word. For any Brief Virgins out there, I won't spoil your pleasure by revaeling the plot here.

Is it really possible that there's anyone out there who hasn't enjoyed this 1945 blockbuster? Possibly. I was in my early twenties when I watched it for the first time, so anything's possible.


Celia Johnson - the prim heroine, Trevor Howard - the smooth doctor and David Lean - a man for whom the title Director defines the magic of the movies."


So why am I mentioning the film again? Well last week I took an afternoon off from the coal face that is my computer and visited my local arts centre - they had been screening a series of film classics...and yes, I was able to see Brief Encounter on the big screen.

It didn't disappoint. But a few things occurred to me. So many of today's films follow a similar theme.

Clint Eastwood's Bridges of Madison County is the story of another brief encounter. Chance meetings, it seems, are timeless. And what of today's crop of movies? Even the hugely successful Twilight franchise lends itself to the age old story of love. Anyone who can't see beyond the teenage angst and fangs needs a transfusion of the 'R' stuff (not Red (blood), but Romance)!

But for those who can't make that leap just yet, here's what else I realised in the cinema. Could Jim Parsons from the hit US series The Big Bang Theory be the secret, if unlikely, love-grand-child of Celia?

You decide.