Festive Films...

I know what you’re thinking - ‘What the heck’s happened to the Blogathon?’ Well let me tell you… we’re fast approaching Christmas and Baggy’s been a tad busy.

However, it’s time to take a step out of the reality zone and get back to basics.

The Christmas issue of the Radio Times is now out for me to peruse the film fayre over the Season of Goodwill.

What treats are on offer?

Sunday, 18th December - Carrie - yes if ever there was film made to instil the feeling of festive cheer, this is it. Look beyond the pubescent Carrie. Forget how she caused murder and mayhem. This film just keeps on giving.

Monday, 19th December - Rosemary’s Baby - I’ve never managed to watch this film all the way through. I’m assuming it’s a bit like Mary’s boy child - but with an 18 certificate.

There’s one glimmer of hope on Christmas Eve - Tim Allen’s Santa Clause 2 is being aired. However the RT cautions that ‘seasonal cheer will be in short supply’ and there’s ‘…insufficient magic‘. I’ll return to this later.

So where is Christmas cheer to be found?

Well fortunately I’ve taken matters into my own hand.

Christmas may come but once a year, but it pops up in so many films you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s a monthly occurrence. My top choices are (in no particular order) - You’ve Got Mail, Serendipity, When Harry Met Sally, White Christmas, Santa Clause, Santa Clause 2, Santa Clause 3, and While You Were Sleeping. Once I’ve watched those I’ll bring in anything that features snow - The Day After Tomorrow, Baby Boom and Dirty Dancing. I know what you’re thinking but it’s my list so back off.

So what of Santa Clause 2? I watched this first and loved it. The following year I found the original and didn’t like it quite so much, but it was still fun and festive. Last year I treated myself to all three on DVD. Number two still remains number one but as a trilogy it doesn’t come close to the Godfather series, but what does? That reminds me - add Godfather to the Christmas film list - Al and Diane were shopping for Christmas presents when Mr B was blasted.

So there you have it - Christmas through the eyes of Baggy - it ain’t clever, but who cares?