Briefly, another film

It's been some time since I bleated on about a film. This evening I caught the end of a classic and I just have to share it with you.

Brief Encounter is a classic in every sense of the word. For any Brief Virgins out there, I won't spoil your pleasure by revaeling the plot here.

Is it really possible that there's anyone out there who hasn't enjoyed this 1945 blockbuster? Possibly. I was in my early twenties when I watched it for the first time, so anything's possible.

Celia Johnson - the prim heroine, Trevor Howard - the smooth doctor and David Lean - a man for whom the title Director defines the magic of the movies.

And that's what I want to recall here. Of course I'd heard of the film, but it wasn't until a late night screening one Christmas that I actually watched it. Fortunately I had the foresight to tape it and guess what - I watched it again and again.

Almost 70 years after its first release, the film is still as fresh and relevant as when a post-war Britain enjoyed it. As well as praising the stars and Lean, let's not forget the film was based on a Noel Coward play. Forget the guy in the smoking jacket - this is Coward the Writer.

Encore!