No flies on us!

Last week I was trying to explain to my parents, my father in particular, the purpose of a Blog.

Although he nodded in all the right places, I sensed that inwardly he was sighing with disbelief.

Before nodding off for his post-Sunday lunch nap, I suggested that he might like to create a list of topics to inspire my posts. This perked him up, albeit temporarily, and the following seven posts are all inspired by subjects on his list.

My parents live on the outskirts of a village, half surrounded by fields. The downside to this rural idyll is the unwelcome visits of flies. As the summer months have extended to include October, the flies have also extended their vacation.

Warm weather means open windows. Add to that mix the mouth-watering aroma of a roast lunch and you have a recipe for disaster. Last Sunday both my parents and I were armed with cans of fly spray – ready for the battle to commence.

Only two or three pestered us, but that was still too many. A few squirts later and we were left in peace. The upside to this tedium is the suggestion of writing about fly spray today. Yes, just as every cloud has a silver lining – every can of fly spray squirts out a topic of the day.