Re-writing history?

Last Saturday I watched the 1969 film Battle of Britain. Even if you didn't know the year, just a few minutes of viewing would tell you it had to be filmed around that time.

Unlike movies made today, the film lacks any sense of realism. The hairstyles in particular would never have been seen in 1940. Two of the characters stay in a small house - complete with exterior fittings seen in the 60s. I might be wrong, but I don't think pubs had that kind of piped music either.

However, despite all those criticisms it's still a great film. I don't know if it's factually correct - but I do know that the Battle of Britain took place and there were acts of heroism on both sides.

Laurence Oliver's character summed it up, 'Our young chaps need to shoot down their young chaps at a rate of 4 to 1 to succeed'. Yes, they were all young chaps.

My godfather was shot down the 2nd World War and spent the rest of the war as a POW. My maternal grandfather served in the RAF in the ground crew and received a medal for bravery.

As over the top as this film might be, it's still a classic. Click here for the full cast and info. And afterwards? The Mummy Returns. We'll save that for another post...