Selling my soul to the devil?

Hardly - but marketing obviously involves selling something and it’s difficult when you are selling your own skills.

At the moment I’m targeting potential customers by focusing on new businesses. Leads come from local press, planning applications and of course by spotting changes on the High Street.

Once I have a victim in my target I send or deliver a ‘good luck’ card – with an appropriate photo. The photos are of local scenes and printed inside are my wares. A covering letter provides more details and if nothing else, the recipient will ponder the photo.

It’s not unusual for a new business to receive good luck messages - with the cards on display. This adds more shelf life to my card – and my contact details.

So whatever you’re selling – Rock to Blackpool or Mounts to the Mounties, think out of the box and see where your imagination takes you.