Day one, but which one?

What is it about space? The air was fresh and the sun out, so I decided to sit outside on one of the 20 benches. Within minutes three tables had been occupied and all around me. There was no reason for the other tables not to be used, but it was as if I were a magnet and drew these annoying people to me.

Today was no different. I chose a table away from others and another couple took a table a few away from me. I breathed a sigh of relief, but it was short-lived. For no obvious reason they moved themselves and their hyper toy poodles next to me. The man kept dropping food for the white poodle, who kept sniffing it and leaving it. The toffee coloured dog did well.

They were a strange couple, the owners, not the dogs. The man looked very, what’s the word, grey? He was so grey he was wearing socks with cartoons on - let’s face it, it doesn’t get much more boring than that, does it?

I know that sounds harsh, after all I don’t know anything about them. I just found it icky that he kept feeding the dogs, allowing them to lick his fingers and then eating more food - with those same fingers. Perhaps boring was the wrong word?

So what does my lack of anger management have to do with Exmoor? Nothing really - it just happens to be where I am.

I’m easily confused. I normally come away on a Monday, this time it was Sunday and I now have no idea what day it is. Presumably the hotel will kick me out after five nights - whatever nights they might be.

For the past few days the south-west has been under a heavy rain cloud. Fortunately it seems to have moved on, but it’s left behind a layer of water and mud - the really sticky stuff. It’s no good letting a few feet of mud dictate how you spend a holiday, so I still set off on a jaunt. Last year I’d traced a trail which was mainly on quiet lanes and farm tracks. Mud would hopefully be at a minimum, although I recalled it being a particularly hilly route.

I re-traced my way along a road, towards Silly Bridge. To be honest it seemed a perfectly sensible bridge. It did what it should - allowed me to cross a fairly lively river. To cross without a bridge would have been more than silly.

Now began the hard work. The drawback of using a GPS is that it gives lots of information, too much perhaps. My legs knew I was climbing, but seeing it numerically displayed was another matter. Despite it being a route tourists might take towards Porlock, only a couple of vehicles passed me. My only real company was the pheasants who stopped and stared at this panting creature, before flying off towards the roasting oven.

My GPS told me that I would be following the road around a sharp bend, to the right. Sure enough I did. Of course, even without my GPS I would hope to have realised that. But modern technology should be embraced, and to the right I marched.

At the far end of this stretch of road, it narrows before continuing on towards Porlock. A sharp right, yes another, follows a path. The moor is now on the left and the rolling fields of either Devon or Somerset on the right. Yes, a GPS can tell you a lot - but not necessarily the county.

The last time I walked this stretch of the route, I spotted some large furry animals in the distance. Sheep are the usual suspects, but these were too large and most definitely the wrong colour. Nearer to them I realised they were Highland cattle, miniature ones. Now had I been north of the border I wouldn’t have been surprised, but my GPS didn’t indicate I’d walked that far. No, these little guys - and gals too, no doubt - were bred by the first wife of the landowner - the explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes.

Sir Ranulph is no stranger to exploration and I’m sure my use of a GPS would have impressed him. But instead of sharing the joys of modern technology with him, I was left to wave at his postman and the delivery man from UPS, who’d both seen it all before.

I've discovered that my belly is just as accurate as my GPS. Seven miles and the rumbling noises are louder than any bleep this battery charged piece of kit can emit. It was time for food and I needed to head for home.